Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Sick Stripers


If you read the 'Welcome' entry, you saw pictures of the diseased striped bass I caught yesterday in the Providence River.

I don't know exactly what was wrong with them, but my theory is that these fish have Ulcerative Dermatitis Syndrome (UDS). UDS is a condition that has been observed in non-migratory stripers in the Chesapeake Bay since the mid-1990's, and is characterized by multiple lesions and sores.(Source.) It is often associated with degraded water quality and poor quality forage (little or no food). Fish get scraped up by nets, fishtraps, or power plant intakes, and then are rendered more susceptible to infection. These poor habitat conditions certainly exist in the Providence River in winter, though UCS is not officially known to occur in Narragansett Bay.

Another disease that affects Striped Bass in the Chesapeake, mycobacteriosis, is much more serious in that it kills the fish it infects, and can be transmitted to people (called fish-handler's disease, Yikes!). I don't think these fish had that, though, based on all the descriptions of mycobacteriosis that I've read.

Here's another good article you might find of interest from the Stripers Forever Web site.

If you think you know what this disease is, or have seen fish with this condition in Narragansett Bay, please write me and let me know. I am sending my pictures and descriptions to some fish pathology experts and will let you know what I find out.


I'll be tackling the issue of over-wintering stripers in an upcoming entry. Stay tuned... JT

3 comments:

  1. Hey, JT. Congratulations on starting this. Looking forward to your continuing story.
    Ciao, Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    Good Luck! Nice to hear that you are catching keepers in the River this time of the year.

    Also, Thanks for always being their for me!

    Your Friend,

    Steve Insana.
    www.buckeyebrook.org
    www.buckeyebrook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. today 7-26-07 I shot a 40" Striper off the point judith break wall that had UDS... I think. when I got to the boat launch a warden was very interested in it, took pics of it to show the biologists.

    ReplyDelete