Monday, January 16, 2006

Welcome to the BayKeeper Blog


Hello all stations! I am excited about this new feature of Save The Bay's website. This blog will help me bring you all the important and interesting news and information about Narragansett Bay as it happens.

I planned to begin these entries with a description of life on and in the Bay this Martin Luther King Day, January 16th, 2006. It was 23 degrees F around midday, with a howling cold northwest wind. My wife, Jillian, headed to the movies with a friend, and I took the opportunity to do some frostbite fishing in the Providence River.This is not glamorous fishing, but I do enjoy flipping home-tied flies and light spinning tackle for the winter resident striped bass and occasional white perch near the Fox Point Hurricane Barrier. There are actually quite a few hardcore characters who fish the river through the depths of winter, but that's another story.

Today I had it all to myself, except for the gulls, cormorants, and a group of hooded mergansers all fishing in the narrow channel on a low falling tide. While the fishing here is always hit-or-miss, especially in winter, I caught seven striped bass in about two hours. The first couple of fish came up clean and bright looking, but two of the seven I caught were covered with infected sores and lesions and had rotting tails. That is the subject of my next blog...

The last fish I caught was the biggest I have ever gotten in the river in winter, about 31 inches, and it had no signs of disease. While it is technically a legal fish to keep, I obviously released it. It's great to catch anything in winter, but I am disturbed by the diseased fish. What does this say about the condition of the Bay? Check out my next entry...

1 comment:

  1. Hi John and Readers,

    First, Happy New Year! The new web site looks great and its nice to here you are catching Stripers up in the River during the Winter months, keepers at that!

    Personal Note: As the Founder of the Buckeye Brook Coalition in Warwick, RI. I would like to take this moment to thank John Torgan (Bay Keeper)for always being their for Buckeye Brook and Myself, Thank You!

    John would come out during the middle of the night when we had problems here at Buckeye Brook to see what the problem was because he cares about not only Narragansett bay, but what drains into it from its watershed thru its tributary Streams.

    In 2002, John Torgan and I wittnessed one of the best Herring Runs in the last twenty years at Buckeye Brook. This means that all the Juvinle River Herring (Buckies) that migrated out to Sea will be returning this year as adults to spawn in Warwick Lake.

    If this natural cycle of sawning accures in abundence this year, we may see some super fishing in and around the Bay.

    Remember, Its what drains into Narragansett Bay that hurts its health. Please try to restrain palluters, protect buffered areas, and protect/advocate against the distruction of wetlands.

    Best,

    Steve Insana (Buckeye Brook).

    ReplyDelete